Analytical Facility: X-ray Characterization Section
Current reaseach project: STS0019
Major programme of XRay characterization section is to render facility for material characterisation and to develop analysis tools to promote multidisciplinary research.. CGCRI X-Ray characterization section has PANalytical X,Pert Pro multipurpose diffractometer which can be refigured to accommodate different Pre Fix (Prealigned Fast Interchangable ) modules and are fully supported by data collection softwares. The product portfolio includes a broad range of XRD system and softwares used for the avnalysis and material characterisation of advanced materials ,nanomaterials, glass & ceramics as synthesized inhouse, products such as cement, metals and steel, plastics, polymers and petrochemicals, industrial minerals, catalysts, semiconductors, thin film .
Major Facilities as developed during 2006 - 2009
- XPERT PRO PANALYTICAL XRD(2001)SYSTEM
- XRF AXIOX-WDXRF PANALYTICAL(2009)SYSTEM
- HIGH TEMP ATTACHMENT(2008)
- THIN FILM ATTACHMENT(2007)
- SAXS ATTACHMENT(2007)
- SPINNER ATTACHMENT(2006)
- X,CELLERATOR DETECTOR(2006)
Efficient XRD analysis is being done in the following areas
- Quantitative phase analysis for crystalline / amorphous compound.
Analytical methods are being developed in case of technologically important
Materials / industrial samples . The principle X-Ray diffraction data analysis
program is X,Pert High score plus..The principle reference database is ICDD PDF4+ .
- Microstructural features that include lattice parameters, lattice type, atom substitution, crystallite sizes /strain, crystallinity, structure determination and refinement from extracted intensity / step intensity data( modified Rietveld method ).
- X,Pert Pro MPD system is equipped with Antor Per temperature controlled humidity system. Different atmospheres can be accommodated for experiment at varying temperature ( R.T to H.T ) . The following applications are considered (a) kinetics of growing oxides scales (b) nonisothermal kinetics of high temperature oxidation (c) low to high temperature phase transition
- The flexibility of X,Pert Pro MPD extends its use to a wide variety of thin film analysis using GIXRD optic for phase characterisation , layer thickness, roughness and density( reflectivity) using reflectivity software.
- Qualititative/Semi-quantitative elemental analysis by X-Ray Fluroscence (AXIOS- Panalytical) using Super Q software .
Group Photograph of Sectional Scientists & Technical Staff
Technical / Support Staff
| Dr. (Mrs.) Keka Mukherjee|| Technical Officer Gr.III(4)|| 1. Crystalline phase analysis (powder/thin film)using X-Ray|
2. SAXS for nano particle analysis
| Shri Nirmal Kr. Ghosh|| Technician Gr.II(4)|| Sample preparation & data collection in XRF/ XRD machine |
| Shri Pronab Kr. Nandi|| Technician Gr.II(4)|| Sample preparation & data collection in XRD machine using different attachments|
| Shri Jayanta Madhab Boruah|| Technician Gr.II(1)|| Sample preparation & data collection in AXIOS PANalytical XRF Equipment.||