Down Memory Lane [26th August, 2010]
To commemorate sixty years of journey of CGCRI a programme Down Memory Lane was organized at the Institute. At the outset, all the staff members took pledge by signing a historical document. The main programme started with an address by Prof Indranil Manna, Director of the Institute, who introduced special guests of the day: Dr S Kumar, Dr B K Sarkar, both former Directors of CGCRI and Mr V K Viash, a surviving member who witnessed the inauguration of the Institute and was on its payroll as scientist till his superannuation. In a recollection session that was anchored by Prof H S Ray, Mr Vaish said that he joined CSIR on 28th July, 1948 and was posted at CGCRI on 2nd August, 1948. He served the Institute till 31st October, 1983. He played an active role in the optical glass activity of the Institute. He also looked after the activities of CGCRI's outreach at Khurja for a brief spell. Dr S Kumar, joined CGCRI on 9th April, 1952. He was the Director of this Institute from 29th October, 1981 to 31st August, 1988. He is a noted glass technologist and initiated several new activities such as Sol-gel Science & Technology, Optical Communication Fibre and Electroceramics at the Institute. He was the architect behind the establishment of CGCRI's outreach center at Khurja that was established to support the pottery industries of the region. He authored the book "The Story of Glass" on which a documentary film was shot later that won National Award. Dr. B. K. Sarkar, a renowned metallurgist and materials scientist took over as the Director of Institute on 1st September, 1988 and remained in this position till 31st October, 1995. He had an illustrious career at ISRO before he took over CGCRI as Director. He joined at a time, when CSIR in general and CGCRI in particular, were passing through a very difficult phase suffering from severe fund crunch. During Dr Sarkar's period, CGCRI forged a special relationship with ISRO and the Defense laboratories. During this period, Dr A P J Abdul Kalam became Chairman of Research Council of Institute. Prof H S Ray, a famous metallurgist graduated from IIT, Kharagpur. After Doctoral work at Toronto University, he served as a faculty member at IIT, Kanpur for a decade. He also had a brief stint of attachment for two years at Pilkington Glass. He served as Director, RRL (now IMMT), Bhubaneswar during 1990-2000. From 2000 onwards till date he is intimately associated with CGCRI in various capacities.
The next part of the programme was distribution of awards in different categories to the bright young research workers and devoted staff. The award giving system has been introduced to promote innovation and work efficiency among staff in general, Prof Siddhratha Roy, Director, IICB, Guest of Honour gave away the prizes.
CGCRI staff taking pledge
A section of the audience
A nostalgic Dr S Kumar
Shri A R Haldar, a staff receiving Best Employee Award from Prof S Roy
Prof A K Ray presenting the 7th Atma Ram Memorial plaque to Prof AK Sood
Prof A Sood delivering the 7th Atma Ram Memorial Lecture