सीएसआईआर-केंद्रीय काँच एवं सिरामिक अनुसंधान संस्थान
CSIR-Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute
Dr. Somnath Bandyopadhyay
Chief Scientist and Head
- Fiber Optics and Photonics Division
- Functional Materials & Devices Division
- Human Resoursce
Phone: (033) 24838083
Dr. Somnath BandyopadhyayDr. Bandyopadhyay joined CSIR-CGCRI in May, 2002 (Bio-sketch)
|Central Scientific Instruments Organisation||Scientist||1998-2002|
|Central Glass & Ceramic research Institute||Scientist||2002-till date|
|B.Sc. Honours||Physics||University of Calcutta|
|M.Sc. Tech.||Applied Physics||University of Calcutta|
|Ph.D. (Tech)||University of Calcutta|
Patents filed / Granted
- “A New Multi-Fibre Optic 2D-Array Device for Sensing and Localising Environment Perturbation using Speckle Image Processing,” H K Sardana, J K Chhabra, S. Bandyopadhyay and P K Goel, US Patent 6,590,194 B2, 2003
- Awarded Monbusho fellowship of JSPS (1998).
- Awarded C. V. Raman research fellowship of CSIR (2007).
- Application of FBG sensors for structural health monitoring in aerospace and civil engineering application, ultrasonic sensing for damage detection in structure, long period grating sensors with overlay structure for chemical and biological sensing applications, FBG for ultra high temperature application.
Notable Research Contribution
- Regenerated fiber gratings with ultra high temperature stability
- Fiber grating based linear filters
- Gain flattening filters for optical amplifiers
- Fibre Bragg Grating (FBG) based temperature sensor for high voltage (400KV) power transmission lines.
Summary: In SCI journals: 52, Conference: 35; Books/Monographs: 1 ;
- “Design of turn-around-point long period fiber grating sensor with Au-nanoparticle self monolayer”, Sankhyabrata Bandyopadhyay, Nandini Basumallick, Sandip Bysakh, Tanoy Kumar Dey, Palas Biswas, Somnath Bandyopadhyay, Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 102, pp 254 – 261, June 2018.
- “Long period fiber grating for biosensing: an improved design methodology to enhance add-layer sensitivity”, Sankhyabrata Bandyopadhyay, Ignacio Del Villar, Nandini Basumallick, Palas Biswas, Tanoy Kumar Dey, Somnath Bandyopadhyay, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 36, Issue 4, pp. 1178-1184, Feb 2018.
- “Design, Fabrication and Characterisation of Over-Coupled Long Period Fibre Grating Coated with Sol-Gel-based Tio2-Sio2Thin Films as High Refractive Index Overlay Towards Bio-Sensing Application”, Palas Biswas, Francesco Chiavaioli, Sunirmal Jana, Nandini Basumallick, Cosimo Trono, Ambra Giannetti, Sara Tombelli, Susanta Bera, Aparajita Mallick, Francesco Baldini, and Somnath Bandyopadhyay, Sensors and Actuators-B Chemical, Volume 253, Pages 418–427, December 2017.
- “Realization of Long Period Fiber Grating In Reflection Mode Operating Near Turn Around Point”, Tanoy Kumar Dey, Palas Biswas, Nandini Basumallick, Sankhyabrata Bandyopadhyay, and Somnath Bandyopadhyay, IEEE Sensors, Volume: 17, Issue: 13, pp. 4100 – 4106, July 2017.
- “Design of Palladium Coated Long Period Fiber Grating for Hydrogen Sensing”, Nandini Basumallick, Palas Biswas, Richard M. Carter, Robert R. J. Maier, Sankhyabrata Bandyopadhyay, Kamal Dasgupta, and Somnath Bandyopadhyay, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 34, No. 21, pp. 4912-4919, Nov. 2016.
- “Application of strongly overcoupled resonant modes of long-period fiber gratings to measure the adulteration of olive oil”, P Biswas, N Basumallick, K Dasgupta, A Ghosh, S Bandyopadhyay, Applied Optics Vol. 55 (19), pp. 5118-5126. July 2016.
: Completed: 1, Ongoing: 4
Last Updated on