सीएसआईआर-केंद्रीय काँच एवं सिरामिक अनुसंधान संस्थान
CSIR-Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute
Mr. Sitendu Mandal
Chief Scientist & Head
Project Planning and Business Development Division (PPBDD)
Publicity and Public Interface Cell
Office No: 033-23223343 (D), 033-2483 8079 (Ex. 3343), Mobile: 9432673626 / 9830587856
Fax no.: +91-33-24730957
Personal e-mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Mr. Sitendu MandalJoined CSIR-CGCRI on 16.10.1989
|Chief Scientist, Gr. IV (6)||16.10.2015||Till date|
|Senior Principal Scientist, Gr. IV (5)||16.10.2010||16.10.2015|
|Principal Scientist, Gr. IV(4)||16.10.2005||16.10.2010|
|Scientist ‘E1’, Gr. IV(3)||16.10.1999||16.10.2005|
|Scientist ‘C’, Gr. IV(2)||16.10.1994||16.10.1999|
|Scientist ‘B’, Gr. IV(1)||16.10.1989||16.10.1994|
Visva Bharati, Santiniketan, 1988
Patents filed / Granted
Summary: Indian: 04
- A process of making ultra low expansion glass ceramics by Sitendu Mandal, Sankar Ghatak, Sanjib Samadder & Sachchidananda Chakrabarti (190 / Del / 2000 Dated 03.03.2000)
A process of preparation of lithium aluminosilicate by Sitendu Mandal, Sachchidananda Chakrabarti, Sukhen Das & Sankar Ghatak (NF 416 / 2000 Dated26.12.2000)
A process of making low thermal expansion lithium alumino-silicate ceramics by Sitendu Mandal, Sachchidananda Chakrabarti & Sankar Ghatak (Filed on December 2003).
A process for the preparation of glass bead useful for the vitrification of nuclear waste by Sitendu Mandal, Ranjan Sen, Alok Roy Chowdhury and Prasanta Chaudhuri (Application No.3041DEL2012)
Material Science & Technology with special interest on:
- Glass Chemistry & Special Glass Development
- Ultra-low expansion glass ceramics and low expansion lithium alumino-silicate ceramics
- Specialty Optical Glass, Radiation Shielding Window (RSW) Glass and Specialty Borosilicate Glass Bead for Immobilization of High Level Radioactive Nuclear Waste
Notable Research Contributions
a) Professional Experience:
During his tenure of nearly 31 years at CSIR-CGCRI, he played a very key role in research and developmental work in the field of Glass Science & Technology. His current research activities are in the area of high density Radiation Shielding Window (RSW) Glass for Radiation Protection in Nuclear Hot Cell and Specialty Borosilicate Glass Frit / Bead for Nuclear Waste Immobilization where in Technology Development and Commercialization have been the main focus. While the Radiation Shielding Window Glass is being produced in pilot scale at CGCRI for catering into the need of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), the technology of specialty glass beads has been successfully transferred to an industrial partner for commercial production and supply to DAE’s units. He is the key person for indigenous production of RSW glass and borosilicate glass bead for nuclear waste immobilization in our country. He has taken an ambitious target to produce RSW glass in specialty refractory crucible instead of platinum crucible for DAE.
The activities of the undersigned resulted in development of appropriate technology, development of product (strategic material), generation of knowledge base in the form of technical papers, patents, reports etc. He has published 15 papers in national and international journals and conference proceedings and filed 4 patents in India. He has also prepared more than 15reports / documents for restricted circulation.
Optical glass Technology, Specialty Optical Glass, Radiation Shielding Window (RSW) Glass and Specialty Borosilicate Glass Bead for Immobilization of High Level Radioactive Nuclear Waste, Ultra Low Expansion Glass-Ceramics, Low Expansion Ceramics
c) Current Research Activities are in the areas of:
- Development of specialty glass in nuclear hot cell application,
- Development of specialty borosilicate glass frit/bead with for application in nuclear waste fixation
- Technology transfer and commercialization of the technology.
Summary: Total: 30
SCI journal papers: 8, international/national conference papers: 10
Invited Lecture delivered: 12
- Publication of Papers in SCI Journals:
- Preparation and characterization of a powder precursor, consisting of oxides of Li-Al-Si in the form of hydroxyhydrogel for synthesis of -spodumene ceramics by S. Mandal, S. Chakrabarti, S. Ghatak, Ceramics International 30 (2004) 357 – 367. Impact Factor: 3.45
- Sintering characteristics of in situ formed low expansion ceramics from a powder precursor in the form of hydroxyl hydrogel by S. Mandal, S. Chakrabarti, S. Das, S. Ghatak, Ceramics International 30 (2004) 21472155. Impact Factor: 3.45
- Ultra low and negative expansion glass-ceramic materials produced from pyrophyllite and blast furnace slag by S. Mandal, S. Chakrabarti, S. Ghatak and S.K. Das, Bull. Mater. Sci., Vol 28, No.5, August 2005, pp. 437 – 443. Impact Factor: 1.264
- Synthesis of low expansion ceramics in lithia-alumina-silica system with zirconia additive using the powder precursor in the form of hydroxyl hydrogel by S. Mandal, S. Chakrabarti, S.K. Das and S. Ghatak, Ceramics International, Vol. 33, Issue 2, March 2007, page 123-132. Impact Factor: 3.45
- Low expansive glass-ceramic material produced from blast furnace slag and china clay by S. Mandal, S. Chakrabarti, S. Ghatak and S.K. Das, Industrial Ceramics, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2006.
- Rehydration characteristics of Lithium Aluminium Silicon Hydroxy-Hydrogel by S. Mandal, S. Chakrabarti,
- Ghatak, Transactions of the Indian Ceramic Society, Vol. 63(4) October – December, 2004.Impact Factor: 1.014
- Preparation and characterization of powder precursor in hydroxyl-hydrogel form in Li2O – Al2O3 – SiO2 system for making low expansion ceramics” by S. Mandal, S. Chakrabarti, S.K. Das and S. Ghatak, communicated for publication in the Journal of Materials Science Letters. Impact Factor: 1.330
Mr. Mandal is recipient of a number of awards of national repute as a part of his outstanding contributions in the areas of Technology Development, Licensing of the Technologies and Commercialization etc. pertaining to Specialty Glass Science and Technology.
- CSIR Technology Award-2018 under the category “Innovation” on September 26,2018
- SKOCH Order of Merit Award 2017 for top 30 Skoch Transformational Innovation Projects in India on the 20th December2017
- Certificate of Merit” CSIR Technology Award for Innovation 2017 on the 26th
- NRDC Meritorious Innovation Award 2013 PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore on the 25th February2015.
- Best Technology Award 2015 by CSIR-CGCRI on 31st May2016
- Malaviya Award for 2004 in the 70th Annual Session of the Indian Ceramic Society held on January 8, 2007
- CSIR – DAAD Scholarship for 16 months for the block year 1994-95 under CSIR -DAAD fellowship program
- Best Poster Award from the Organising Committee of the 23rd International Conference on Non- ferrous Minerals and Metals 2019 (ICNFMM 2019) during 12 – 13 July2019
- Fellow, Indian Institute of Ceramics (IIC)
- Fellow, West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (WAST)
Administrative Responsibilities/Members of National/International organizations
Some Key Responsibilities of the Institute:
- Chairman, Noble Metal Functioning Committee
- Chairman, CGCRI Staff Canteen Committee
- Co-chairman, Space Committee
- Member of the Group Representing CSIR-CGCRI for interaction with DG,CSIR.
- Coordinator, Kolkata Centre for Joint CSIR-UGC Test for Junior Research Fellowship and Eligibility for Lectureship (NET) since January 2012-2018
- Member, Reconstituted Management Council of CSIR-CGCRI, Kolkata with effect from 1st January 2010 to 31st December, 2021. (Ref: CSIR-IMMT O.M. No. GC/MC (Constitution)/R&A(Vig)-2010-21 dated 15.05.2020)
- Nodal Officer, CSIR-JigyasaProgramme in collaboration with KendriyaVidyalayaSangathan (KVS). The students of KV school and other school visited different R&D divisions of CSIR-CGCRI and interacted with thescientists.
- Nodal Officer, CSIR Integrated Skill Development Programme,CSIR-CGCRI
- Nodal Officer, CSIR VigyanSamachar in association with VigyanPrasar, DST, NewDelhi
- Coordinating Officer, Science Village Programme, Curtain Raiser, 5th edition of India International Sciences-Festival (IISF) 2019,Kolkata
- Nodal Officer, India International Sciences-Festival-2018 (CSIR-CGCRI IISF-2018) Outreach Programme” and also the Curtain RaiserIISF-2018”
Last Updated on