সিএসআইআর-কেন্দ্রীয় কাঁচ ও সেরামিক গবেষণা সংস্থা
सीएसआईआर-केंद्रीय काँच एवं सिरामिक अनुसंधान संस्थान
CSIR-Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute
Dr. Dipten Bhattacharya
Senior Principal Scientist
Advanced Mechanical and Materials Characterization Division
Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute
(Council of Scientific and Industrial Research)
Phone: +91-33-2473-3469/96/76/77 extn. 3470
Dr. Dipten BhattacharyaJoined CGCRI on 1st March, 2001
|CSIR-CGCRI, Kolkata||Senior Principal Scientist||
|CSIR-CGCRI, Kolkata||Principal Scientist||
|CSIR-CGCRI, Kolkata||Scientist EI||2006-2009|
|Bar-Ilan University, Israel||Post-doctoral Fellow||2002-2003|
|CGCRI, Kolkata||Scientist C||2001-2005|
|NPL, New Delhi||Scientist B||1997-2000|
Orbital Physics in Strongly Correlated Electron Systems; Orbitronics; Multiferroics; Nanoscale Systems Experimental work on interplay among charge, spin, orbital, and lattice degrees of freedom in strongly correlated electron systems; orbital physics – orbital order-disorder transition; orbitronics, multiferroics; electronic, structural, and magnetic phase transition at nanoscale etc.
Landmark Research Contributions
- Authentic determination of magnetoelectric multiferroic coupling in nanoscale BiFeO3 by both crystallography and direct electrical measurements on nanochains patterned by focused ion beam and e-beam lithography
- Systematic mapping of crossover from first to higher order orbital order-disorder transition as a function of lattice distortion, disorder, charge carrier concentration, and particle size (bulk down to ~10 nm) in a series of rare-earth perovskite manganites and identification of the origin of crossover in each case.
- Observation of pulsed electric field driven orbital order-disorder transition in LaMnO3 which is expected to assume immense importance for future electronics based on “orbitronics”.
- Discovery of frequency dependent multiferroicity in an electronic ferroelectric system.
- Young Scientist Award in Physical Science, CSIR, Govt. of India, 2001
- Selected Invited Talks
- “Pattern-dependent giant spontaneous exchange bias in self-assembled nanopaticles of BiFeO3”, at the 2nd Annual General Meeting of Physics of Strongly Correlated Electron Systems, March 06-08, 2019, IIT, Delhi
- “Multiferroicity in nanoscale BiFeO3”, at the National Workshop on Condensed Matter Physics in the Last Decade, February 03-05, 2017, IIT, Kharagpur
- “Multiferroicity in nano and improper ferroelectric systems” at the Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur, on 5 September, 2014
- “Room temperature multiferroicity in nano and improper ferroelectric systems” at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, IIT, Kanpur, on 19 March, 2014
- “Subtle interplay of electron and lattice degrees of freedom: newer exotica in older electronic ceramics” at the Department of Ceramic Engineering, NIT, Rourkela, on 19 November, 2013.
- “Spontaneous Exchange Bias in the BiFeO3-Bi2Fe4O9 Nanocomposite” at the Kolkata-Moscow meeting held at S N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata during 22-23 January, 2013.
- “Multiferroicity in nanoscale BiFeO3” at the International School & Conference on Functional Materials, organized jointly by HRI, SINP, & Cambridge University, held at Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad, 28 March – 3 April, 2011.
- “Electric field driven phase transition in LaMnO3” at the UGC Refresher Course on Recent Advances in Energy Engineering and Environment Management, held at the Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 1-22 February, 2011.
- “Electric field driven orbital order-disorder transition in LaMnO3” at the National School and Conference on Quantum Dynamics of Electrons, held at the IIT, Kharagpur, 17-18 April, 2009.
- “Do electronic multiferroics offer better maneuverability in the coupling between electric polarization (P) and magnetization (M)?” at the International Conference on Multiferroics, organized jointly by DST & JSPS, held at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata, 4-6 February, 2008.
- “Synthesis of thin films of functional materials and their characterization” at the International School on Thin Films: Synthesis, Characterization, Properties, organized by Materials and Energy Research Centre (MERC), held at MERC, Tehran, Iran, during 16-18 September, 2006.
Selected Recent Publications:
- S. Goswami, A. Sahoo, Dipten Bhattacharya, O. Karci, and P.K. Mohanty, “Large structure-dependent room temperature exchange bias in self-assembled BiFeO3 nanoparticles”, APL Materials 8, 081101 (2020).
- A. Sahoo, Dipten Bhattacharya, and P.K. Mohanty, “Effect of surface pinning on magnetic nanostructures”, Phys. Rev. B 101, 064414 (2020).
- U. Chowdhury, S. Goswami, A. Roy, S.S. Rajput, A.K. Mall, R. Gupta, S.D. Kaushik, V. Siruguri, S. Saravanakumar, S. Israel, R. Saravanan, A. Senyshyn, T. Chatterji, J.F. Scott, A. Garg, and Dipten Bhattacharya, “Origin of ferroelectricity in orthorhombic LuFeO3”, Phys. Rev. B 100, 195116 (2019).
- C. Khatua, Dipten Bhattacharya, B. Kundu, V.K. Balla, S. Bodhak, and S. Goswami, “Fabrication and properties of bioactive glass/bismuth ferrite composites for bone tissue engineering applications”, Adv. Engg. Mater. 20, 1800329 (2018).
- S. Goswami, Dipten Bhattacharya, C.K. Ghosh, B. Ghosh, S.D. Kaushik, V. Siruguri, and P.S.R. Krishna, “Nonmonotonic particle size dependence of magnetoelectric coupling in strained nanosized particles of BiFeO3”, Scientific Reports 8, 3728 (2018).
Degree Awarded: 3 [(i) Dr. Partha Sarathi Mondal; Topic: Orbital Order-Disorder Transition in Rare-Earth Perovskite Manganites
(ii) Dr. (Ms) Sudipta Goswami; Topic: Multiferroicity in Bulk and Nanoscale BiFeO3 (Joint Supervisor: Prof. G.C. Das;
(iii) Dr. Ujjal Chowdhury; Topic: Multiferroicity in Electronic Ferroelectric Systems]
On-Going: 3 [(i) Ms Aditi Sahoo; Topic: Multiferroicity in Self-Assembled Nanoparticles of Single-Phase Multiferroic
(ii) Mr. Shubhankar Mishra; Topic: Room temperature Multiferroicity in Improper Ferroelectrics (Joint Supervisor: Dr. Chandan K. Ghosh; Jadavpur University)
(iii) Ms. Tania Chatterjee; Topic: Multiferroicity in BiFeO3/Graphene Nanocomposites (Joint Supervisor: Dr. Arnab Mukherjee; CGCRI)]
Candidates with consistently good academic record and CSIR-NET (Physics) or DST INSPIRE fellowship are encouraged to apply for PhD positions
Last Updated on July 13, 2021